E8-A Peak Into Modern Classrooms, Kor/Hakkarinen
NewTechies:
I had the pleasure of conversation around personal, competency-based learning with Sophia Kor and Michael Hakkarinen of the Modern Classroom Project. Both of these individuals gave some thoughtful ideas surrounding their model of how to transform an individual classroom into one that spurs higher engagement in students, as well as a more supportive idea for teacher competency.
- 85% of teachers suggest that they enjoy teaching more after participating in Modern Classrooms
- 94% of teachers suggest that they will continue these practices after doing their pilot study and
- 85% of teachers feel more optimistic about their profession
This graph from their presentation captured my attention:
Some of these figures are striking. Having been a principal of a school that decided to "flip" in the early 2010's, I have had some experience with the pros/cons of that practice. This seems like a similar initiative with a whole lot more support than we had in creating this concept from scratch with very little resources outside of fellow department members.
One of the elements I really enjoy as a prospect for Modern Classrooms is that you can have teachers engage Modern Classrooms at any level -- reviewing their resources on their website, getting involved with a mentor, or just experimenting with these techniques. I talk about incremental growth; this is the type of resource that allows you to customize your personalized learning initiative relative to the readiness of your staff or its members.
Many of you are moving with the long MEA weekend! I hope you get a chance to view this. Have a great weekend! Next week, I will be podcasting from Norway, or at least providing a blog. By then, I should have visited a couple schools and talk about what I observed.

Comments
Post a Comment